Monday, October 29, 2012

Marines, Monuments and M&M's

Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone on the East Coast is staying safe and dry.
This past weekend nearly 30,000 runners participated in the 38th annual Marine Corps Marathon, including my Dad! My younger sister, Emily and I spent the day in D.C spectating the race and we had a good time. This was our first time at the MCM and it is already on my list of favorite races to spectate. The view was beautiful where we were and the crowd was awesome!
I love spectating and cheering everybody on and on Sunday we saw a lot of fun costumes and signs. I am always amazed at how runner's manage to run 26.2 miles in some crazy costumes. Some of my favorites were:
1. The M&M's (there were at least three of them)
2. The classic tutu (it seems to be a really popular marathon costume, I even saw a guy wearing one)
3. One of the most accurate Spider-man costumes I've seen all week
4. A banana
5. Batman and Wonder Women
6. Waldo

Some awesome signs we saw said things like:
1. Run faster Sandy is right behind you
2. Why do all of the good guys run away?
3. Worse parade ever!
4. Cuz 26.3 would just be crazy!

I would like to thank the mega phone guy for "motivating" all of the racers and strongly encouraging  them not to sit down because of the paper work involved for him. Thanks to the coffee shop at the finisher's festival for providing thousands of cranky spectators with breakfast and reminding us of why we were awake in the first place. Also thank you to the police who kept the crowds at bay and everybody moving in the right direction down in the metro stations.

Here are some pictures of Emily and I chillin in D.C. we had a ton of fun!













Congrats to all of the finishers of both the 10k and marathon, you guys are amazing! Semper Fi















1 comment: